Thursday, October 8, 2009

Dragonflies Through A Child's Eyes




I love Dragonflies. Maybe it was all the years of admiring those stained glass Tiffany lamps.  More likely I have this interest because when I was a kid I liked to believe they were fairies.  This belief didn't stem from any childhood fairy tale.  

On more than one occasion I would be taking a walk and a Dragonfly would be flying right beside me at eye level. It would keep the same pace as if it was trying to lead me somewhere magical or deliver some telepathic message. They looked like little humans with wings.  Then I grew up, like most of us, and the magic was gone.  

Now dragonflies (and Damselflies) seem like some sort of alien life form or radio-controlled robotic insect.  If you look closely at their body, where their wings attach, it almost looks like some sort of sci-fi circuitry. Whatever the case may be, dragonflies are always fun to photograph because they rarely land for long and don't hover in one spot for any length of time.  To me, they're still pretty magical.